We all deal with symptoms of stress every day, whether it is caused by work, relationships or our financial situations. The human body is constantly trying to adapt to all of these daily stresses and struggles to keep us balanced and healthy. There are various ways to cope with stress and one is to supplement your diet, which we already know can improve overall health. However we’re not just talking vitamins and any old herbs, we’re talking adaptogens, a new super-stress buster that not only help relieve stress, they help to block it.
What Are Adaptogens?
Adaptogens are a unique class of healing plants that have been used for thousands of years in ancient healing practices like Traditional Chinese Medicine and Ayurveda. They help balance, restore and protect the body. In particular, adaptogens have gained popularity for their abilities to counter stress and fatigue. According to Donnie Yance, author of Adaptogens in Medical Herbalism, a balanced formula of adaptogenic herbs can greatly improve anabolic metabolism, reduce the effects of oxidative stress, and provide true holistic metabolic support to reverse the slow decline in health that we associate with aging.
What Classifies An Herb An Adaptogen?
An herb is adaptogenic if it meets three criteria.
1. It is nontoxic and safe to everyone.
2. Its benefits are nonspecific, meaning it improves the entire body’s resistance to stress, not just one particular system or organ.
3. It balances bodily functions regardless of where the disruption may originate.
Top 5 Adaptogens And Their Benefits
1. Ginseng is the most well-known out of all the adaptogens and is known as the most potent.
- Decreases fatigue
- Balances blood glucose levels
- Improves erectile dysfunction
- Boosts your mood
2. Holy Basil also known as Tulsi is known in India as the “elixir of anti-aging.”
- Reduces stress
- Promotes a healthy heart
3. Ashwagandha is notably used in Ayurvedic medicine to regulate the immune system.
- Reduces blood sugar levels
- Anti-cancer properties
- Reduces anxiety and stress
- Improves brain function
- Reduces inflammation
4. Astragalus Root is a fundamental herb in Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Boosts immunity
- Fights inflammation
- Kidney support
- Prevents damage caused by stress
5. Licorice Root requires professional supervision as it can cause irregular blood pressure.
- Regulates cortisol, the stress hormone
- Boosts the immune system
- Increases energy
Adaptogenic herbs are great natural remedies to help relax from anxiety as well as other metal and physiological issues. Supplement adaptagenic herbs into your diet and reap their powerful benefits.
Yance, Donnie,M.H., C.N. (2013). Adaptogens stress. Alternative Medicine, (13), 40-43. Retrieved from http://iii.sonoma.edu/docview/1463205125?accountid=13949. Accessed 22 June 2017
Provino, Robert. “The role of adaptogens in stress management.” Australian Journal of Medical Herbalism, vol. 22, no. 2, 2010, p. 41+. Health Reference Center Academic, go.galegroup.com.sonoma.idm.oclc.org/ps/i.do?p=HRCA&sw=w&u=sonomacsu&v=2.1&it=r&id=GALE%7CA232178423&asid=b343f9b0c5cc1de52357566a3aa55f8f. Accessed 22 June 2017.
Chung, Ill-Min et al. “Comparative Phenolic Compound Profiles and Antioxidative Activity of the Fruit, Leaves, and Roots of Korean Ginseng (Panax Ginseng Meyer) according to Cultivation Years.” Journal of Ginseng Research 40.1 (2016): 68–75. PMC. Web. 23 June 2017.
“7 Adaptogen Herbs to Lower Cortisol” Dr. Axe Website
https://draxe.com/7-adaptogen-herbs-to-lower-cortisol/ . Accessed June 17, 2017
“Hack Your Stress and Sex with these 7 Adaptogens”
https://blog.bulletproof.com/hack-your-stress-and-sex-with-these-7-adaptogens/ . Accessed June 17, 2017
“Ancient Healers: Adaptogens” Published January/February 2014. https://experiencelife.com/article/ancient-healers-adaptogens/ . Accessed June 17, 2017.